Peppers pick, when to dive after emergence and is it possible
If you plant pepper seeds for seedlings in a common container, then after a certain time you will need to pick. Often this procedure becomes a problem, especially for beginning summer residents.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
Today we will tell you how to pick peppers correctly so as not to lose seedlings.
What is a pick?
In outline the picking process is the transplantation of plants from a common tank into separate containers for subsequent development.
Dive (dive) is carried out at a certain age, which is most often calculated by the number of real leaves from seedlings. Also during the procedure, the soil changes in which the seedlings grow.
What is the difference between a pick and a normal transplant?
In general, picking is a method of transplanting seedlings, in which the root is nipped at 30% of its length.
However, now, picking means any transplant of seedlings from a common container into separate containers. Although it would be more correct to call such a procedure transshipment.
Do you need to dive seedlings of peppers?
In general, a dive is a rather painful procedure. If possible, it should be avoided. But the reality is that there is always not enough space for seedlings, so sowing is carried out in common boxes. Up to a certain point you can grow peppers there, but still soon the plants will become crowded, their roots will be intertwined. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out a pick, so that the seedlings have room to grow, and the seedlings do not interfere with each other.
IMPORTANT! The second reason to dive peppers is to train seedlings for transplants. That is, the procedure performs the function of a kind of hardening of seedlings.
No need to dive those peppers that were immediately planted in separate spacious plastic or peat cups. In this case, the plants will have enough room for growth. The only transplant will have to be carried out when landing on a permanent place in open ground or a greenhouse.
When they pickle seedlings, do we choose the time?
The optimal age of the pepper for the procedure is considered when there are 2-3 real leaflets on the seedling. This stage occurs within 2-3 weeks after the germination of the sprouts.
During this period, the plant already has a sufficiently developed root system to take root in a new capacity, but at the same time, it is still not large enough to grow too much.
ON A NOTE. Experienced summer residents can dive at the stage of cotyledon leaves or 5-6 true leaves. But in both cases, the probability of damaging the plant is high, so beginners are advised to dive peppers at the stage of 3 real leaves.
How to choose a capacity?
When choosing a container, it is better to stop on plastic cups with a volume of about 0.3 - 0.5 liters. In such containers, pepper will have enough space for root growth. Earthball will not dry out. And during transshipment during landing at a permanent place, the roots will be almost impossible to damage.
Also, special packages for seedlings are now sold. They look like cups, but are made from thinner material. When transplanting, an earthen lump together with pepper is easily removed from such a package. There is only one drawback of the packages - they are more expensive than ordinary plastic glasses, which can be bought very cheaply at any wholesale base.
ON A NOTE. For peppers, peat cups and tablets will not be a panacea. Pepper roots still will not grow through the cardboard, which means that peat containers will not give any advantages. Still have to transplant.
How to choose a lunar day suitable for a dive?
Let's start with the days when it is undesirable to dive.
It is a full moon and a new moon. In 2020, they fell on such days: February 9 and 23, March 9 and 24, April 8 and 23, May 7 and 22.
It is advised to carry out the procedure on the growing moon. The most successful will be the days when the star will be in the constellations of Scorpio, Libra or Taurus.
In 2020, the following dates are MOST favorable:
- February 3, 28 and 29;
- March 26, 27, 28;
- April 7, 24;
- May 4, 5, 6.
What types of procedures are there?
There are several ways to pick peppers.
With the traditional method of the procedure, you just need to transplant the peppers from a common container into separate containers. At the same time, it is very important to try not to damage the root, since pepper does not tolerate this.
With the traditional method, it is very important to choose the right size for the new container so that the pepper does not become crowded again after a while.
This method (also called "Diapers") will save space. He is also good in that you can add earth to the resulting “diaper” as the pepper grows.
To dive with a film, you will need an empty container and plastic bags.
- A tablespoon of earth is laid out in the middle of the package.
- We put a sapling on top so that its roots are in the ground, and the rest is out of the diaper.
- We put another spoonful of earth on top of the seedling.
- Wrap the package like a roll.
- We fix with an elastic band, put in a container and water from a syringe.
Method - Snail
For this method, you need a roll of isolon with a width of about 20 cm.
- Unwind the roll.
- Pour on top about 4 cm of earth.
- Gently twist the snail, intercept with an elastic band.
- We plant seedlings in a checkerboard pattern so that they do not interfere with each other.
REFERENCE. The disadvantage of this method is that sooner or later it will be necessary to transplant again, as there will be not enough space for the peppers.
The essence of this method is that pepper is dived with a lump of earth in which it grows. This is done so as not to injure the roots.
Step-by-step instructions for diving peppers?
- Moisten the soil a few hours before the procedure. So the seedlings will be easier to separate from the ground.
- Cups or other containers are being prepared. Drainage holes are made and a thin layer of drainage is poured.
- Prepared soil is poured into glasses in 60-70% of the volume. The soil can be used in the same composition as in the germination of seeds.
- The soil is moistened and crushed a little. In the center, you need to make a small recess for the seedling.
- With the help of a teaspoon, sticks from ice cream or any similar tool, the seedling is gently separated.
- Most likely, you will capture several plants at once. They must be carefully disconnected. Strong and healthy are placed in glasses. Weak and wilted can be thrown away.
- The selected seedling is placed in a glass. The roots should be free. In no case should the roots be turned counterclockwise. Seedling growth will stop!
- Deep digging is not necessary. Next, pour the right amount of earth and slightly ram it.
- All cups with seedlings are placed in a common box so that they do not fall.
- Spend irrigation with settled warm water.
- Seedlings are put in the same place and slightly covered from the sun for several days.
- After 3 days, the lighting is normalized.
Do I need to pinch the root?
It is definitely hard to answer this question unequivocally. The fact is that pepper refers to those cultures that very poorly tolerate any manipulations with its rhizome. Therefore, in general, pinching the root of a seedling of pepper is NOT RECOMMENDED.
However, experienced summer residents are able to carry out this procedure carefully. But even their survival rate after seedling is by no means 100%.
How to dive into a permanent place?
If you planted seedlings late, and the weather allows (or you have a greenhouse), then seedlings of pepper can be dived right away to a permanent place.
This procedure will not differ from the usual pick.
But it will be very important to take care of the pepper after the procedure. Seedlings should be protected from the scorching sun and protected from the cool of the night. To do this, you need to build a small greenhouse of spunbond stretched over metal or plastic arcs.
The benefits of picking pepper
Despite all the ambiguity, the dive has quite obvious advantages:
- Sorting seedlings. During the procedure, weak and painful plants are thrown away.
- Minimizing the spread of fungal and bacterial infections.
- Productivity increase.
- Space for the development of plants. Each seedling will have its own cup, where he will be able to get maximum moisture and useful minerals.
- Seedlings build up root mass.
Cons of picking pepper
- The technical complexity of the procedure (especially for beginners).
- Peppers are sure to "get sick", and some of them will die.
- During the procedure, you can injure the roots of seedlings.
- The ability to "pick up" the disease during the procedure.
How do peppers lead after the procedure, what should I look for?
Peppers, like any other plant, do not like picking. Therefore, it is possible that immediately after the procedure, they may get a little sick. Consider the behavior of seedlings after picking in more detail.
What to do if peppers are extended?
This problem has 2 possible causes: a lack of light and an excess of nitrogen fertilizers. It is necessary to provide the plant with a sufficient amount of light. If you can’t put the seedlings closer to the sun, resort to phytolamps.
Did the peppers burn out?
Peppers fade due to root damage and improperly organized development conditions. You can try to save the seedlings using the foliar treatment of Epin.
There can be many reasons for this phenomenon: this is an incorrectly performed dive procedure and incorrect conditions of detention. To save seedlings, it is necessary to normalize the care, provide regular watering and a sufficient amount of light. You can also carry out preventive treatment with epin sheet.
Seedlings have stopped growing
There are 2 reasons: damage to the root system and an airbag between the roots and the nutrient ground. Seal the soil around the seedling and treat it with Kornevin to accelerate root growth.
Features of caring for peaked seedlings
After the procedure, the seedlings that have been planted need to provide appropriate conditions.
After a dive, plants need a temperature slightly above room temperature (22-23 degrees) during the day and below 16 at night. After a few days, when the peppers settle in a new place, the temperature can be increased to 25 and 18 degrees, respectively.
Watering the seedlings after a dive should be moderate. The first watering after the procedure should be after about 2-3. In general, you need to focus on the condition of the soil. If your house is very dry, then you need to water more often, and you can use spraying.
After watering, do not forget to loosen the soil so that it does not clog. This will save the roots from decay.
Immediately after a dive, the seedlings need to provide diffused lighting, and after three days again increase the amount of light. Daylight hours should be no less than 8-10 hours.
How to feed after a dive step-by-step scheme
Top dressing 0 (optional). To reduce stress, 4 days after the dive, plants can be treated with Kornevin. This drug helps the roots take root in a new place.
Top dressing 1. It is customary to carry out the first feeding 2 weeks after the dive. The following solutions are most suitable:
- 50 grams of live yeast in 5 liters of water;
- 100 g of wood hall for 5 liters of water. Previously, the solution is insisted for half a day;
- Mineral fertilizer based on 5 l of water, 20 g of superphosphate, 8 g of potassium salt, 3 g of urea.
Top dressing 2. The second time fertilizer is applied after another 2 weeks (in total a month after the dive). You can use any of the above drugs.
IMPORTANT! Nitrogen dressing can not be carried out, as they lead to stretching seedlings.
Top dressing 3. A few days before transplanting to a permanent place, they are fed with epin or zircon.
IMPORTANT! No need to zealous with top dressing. Excess fertilizers do more harm than lack.
Are growth stimulants needed?
There is no consensus on this. It is best to look at the state of seedlings. If she is sick and does not tolerate the consequences of the procedure, then it is possible to irrigate with a root stimulant diluted in water. But, if the seedlings feel good, remain healthy and do not lose tone, then growth stimulants can not be used.
A pick is a painful, but in most cases a necessary procedure. To make peppers easily tolerate a dive, strictly follow all instructions and carefully monitor the process. Then the seedlings will continue to grow healthy and strong.