Propagation of Zamioculcas (dollar tree) at home
Zamioculcas is an ornamental plant, when grown in the house there will always be prosperity. The people got the name of the flower dollar tree. Propagation of the plant occurs in various ways. The main thing is not to rush, as the development of roots will take more than one month.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
First, the dollar tree is gaining tuber, and then it is building up green mass. Each branch grows from a tuber, increasing in size.
Under what conditions does zamioculcas multiply
For successful breeding, it is necessary to create suitable conditions. Consider each of the factors in more detail.
It is better to carry out such events in the spring. This is the most suitable time of the year for transplanting, dividing indoor flowers.
Zamioculcas is a drought tolerant plant., so an apartment with central heating is suitable for its reproduction. Humidity is 30-60%.
The plant is thermophilic. Its reproduction normally occurs at temperatures ranging from +18 to + 26 ° C.
Make sure that they do not fall below + 15 ° C. Dollar tree tolerates the hot climate. Just spray the leaves with water, extend the daylight hours and provide watering.
Primer for indoor flower
Soil composition for indoor flower can be prepared at home. Mix in equal amounts such components:
- leaf and turf land;
There is a ready-made substrate for growing cacti or succulents on sale. It is also suitable for Zamiokulkas. The soil composition should be loose, let air through and with a neutral pH. Provide drainage with a thickness of 1⁄4 pot.
Ceramic and plastic pots are suitable. The roots of the flower are developed, so the capacity should be capacious, but not very deep. Make holes in the bottom to prevent stagnation of water.
Methods of reproduction of a dollar tree
There are several methods of reproduction. Let's consider each in more detail.
How to propagate by leaf?
Reproduction occurs with a leaf taken from an adult culture. The procedure is as follows:
- Cut the leaf, leave for several hours, so that it dries.
- Dip the place of the cut into the root stimulator - Kornevin.
- Transplant planting material into the prepared soil mixture.
- After 3 days, pour the soil, and spray the leaf with water.
- It remains only to wait until the roots begin to form on the tuber. It takes 2-3 months.
Important! Zamioculcas is characterized by slow growth. New leaves can be seen in 6-7 months.
Breeding in water
The essence of the method is to arrange a leaf or twig of an adult flower in water.
This is where the formation of the new root system will take place.
Dip the bottom of the planting material into the stimulator. Suitable for this:
Breeding by cuttings
This is the most popular breeding option for Zamioculcas. The shoots of an adult flower are involved. Young leaves, due to their incompletely formed leaf plate, are not suitable for propagation. In addition, they do not contain enough nutritional components, without which it will not be possible to grow a full-fledged culture from cuttings.
Important!Accepting the fact that cuttings do not always give positive results, you can transplant Zamiokulkas cuttings immediately into plastic containers without transferring them to the greenhouse.
Cuttings occur as follows:
- An adult flower branch with a well-developed plate is involved.
- Separate the selected instance into separate segments so that 2 opposite leaves are present on each.
- A stalk obtained from the top of a leaf may have three leaflets. After cutting, the planting material is kept for 2-3 hours in the air. In a hurry to immediately send it to the ground is not worth it. Due to increased humidity, cuttings can die.
- Dip the tips of the branches into the root stimulator - Zircon or Kornevin. This treatment protects against diseases.
- For transplant, prepare a universal substrate. It must contain vermiculite. This substance gives the soil friability. For quick rooting of planting material, the pot can be transferred to a microparnic, which is covered with polyethylene on top.
- Perform the first irrigation in 2-3 days. A spray gun is used for this. After 1-2 months, large tubers with roots form on the branches. After 5-6 months, the first leaves are formed.
Step-by-step photo planting cuttings
Division of a bush or tuber
This breeding option is suitable for a planned culture transplant. Separate the plant into separate segments and form new bushes.
Tuber division is the easiest way to grow a dollar tree. You just need to separate it into separate parts.
But maximum accuracy will not hurt here, since It is important not to damage the root. When the plant has been divided, then hold all its parts in the air for 2-3 hours. Sprinkle slices with activated carbon. Perform the first hydration only after 3 days. Moisturize not only the soil, but also the leaves.
Propagation by small leaves
For propagation, it is necessary to prepare small leaves obtained from a large leaf of culture.
Before the procedure, planting material should be placed in air.
Hold for 2-3 hours, so that the cut-out spot is dry. Lay the leaf with the cut in the solution to stimulate root formation.
These include Zircon, Kornevin, activated carbon. You can get a universal composition, if you take modern means and add coal to them.
The rooting process is as follows:
- Place the lower part of the planting material in a moist substrate obtained from sand and peat.
- Cover the container with a film on top for a greenhouse effect.
- Before the formation of the first shoots, the covering material should be removed every day for ventilation.
Zamiokulkas breeding can occur without a greenhouse:
- To root planting material, a universal soil mixture is suitable, which can be bought at a specialized store. You need to choose a composition suitable for growing succulents.
- 2-3 days after planting, pour leaves and soil using the spray method.
- After 30 days, small tubers form at the cutting site. They will begin to grow actively and they will form white roots.
- The most common mistake, which leads to damage to the plant and its death, is abundant irrigation.
- The dollar tree also lacks sunlight.
- Planting the culture by dividing the tuber is only for a person with a certain experience. If all the work is done incorrectly, you can ruin the mother plant and not get new sprouts.
Sprout care at home
It is not difficult to grow young shoots of Zamioculcas. To do this, provide irrigation, feed and fight pests, diseases.
When moisturizing, it is recommended to adhere to the following recommendations:
- An excess of moisture for sprouts growing in partial shade may be the reason for their death. A tuber begins to rot at the money tree, because of which it will not work to save the culture.
- At the stage of active growth, the decorative culture of watering should be performed as the top layer of the soil dries. There should be no water in the pan. In winter, irrigate plants only after deep drying of the soil.
- Periodically spray the green part of the leaf.
- With prolonged drought, the plants begin to actively fall off the leaves. But the tuber remains, so you can still give life back to the dollar tree. Just water the soil abundantly, and after a while the flower will sprout new seeds.
- Zamioculcas leaves periodically wipe with a damp cloth. This is not only excellent hygiene, but also the opportunity to improve the appearance of the decorative culture.
Fertilize only during the growing season. In spring and summer, use fertilizer 2 times a month. Suitable preparations intended for cacti or succulents.
Diseases and Pests
Zamioculcas is extremely rarely affected by diseases and pests.
This occurs mainly with improper care, and more precisely, with heavy watering. From this the roots rot.
The plant needs to be separated from the decayed root system, and sprinkle the cooled part with coal powder.
When yellow leaves appear, this indicates the presence of the disease. Remove the affected parts of the plant until the green ones begin to grow. The following factors can affect the yellowing of the leaves:
- sharp jumps in temperature;
- defective watering;
- pest damage.
The following pests can affect Zamioculcas:
- Spider mite. This is a small insect that has a red body. It affects the inside of the leaves, forming a whitish coating on them. To fight suitable tobacco infusion (1:10), pollination, ground sulfur or prepared insecticides.
- Shield. Young parasites are not particularly noticeable on the plant. But they multiply quickly and cover the stems and leaves with dark spots. Adult pests do not creep, they just sit under the shields, from under which larvae emerge, spreading throughout the flower. To combat parasites, a soap-tobacco solution (1:10) is used, which is diluted with kerosene. Remove adults with shields with a wet swab. After treatment with insecticides.
- Aphid. This is a small insect that can be green, gray, black. It affects the inside of the leaf. It feeds on juice, because of which the leaves dry out and curl up into a tube. Parasites are prone to rapid reproduction. To combat them, use ready-made products or solutions of nicotine sulfate in a soap solution (1 g per 1 liter).
Zamioculcas is a popular indoor plant that can decorate any interior. Its reproduction can be carried out in different ways, while each of them has its own characteristics. Despite its unpretentiousness, the plant needs proper care, otherwise it will not be possible to get a real money tree from a sprout.
Learn more about Zamioculcas breeding from the video below: