Proper strawberry care after fruiting
The need for crop care after picking berries
Summer residents grow on the plots a variety of varieties of garden strawberries, so the timing of fruiting will vary. In early species, the berries ripen in June, later yield in July, remontant fruits before cold weather.
The period after picking berries is the time of “rest” of the culture, when the plants gradually begin to prepare for the new season. The old foliage, shoots die off, the buds of the future harvest are actively formed. It is necessary to provide strawberries with a supply of nutrients, protect them from attack by pests, infection, clean the aisles.
The second half of the summer (July-August) is the time for rooting mustaches of future seedlings, transplanting, pruning bushes, preventive treatments. It is important to comply with the deadlines, properly feed the culture, taking into account the characteristics of the varieties, climatic conditions of the area.
July Strawberry Care
An important component of July strawberry care is mustache pruning. The fact is that strawberry bushes, which are 3-5 years old, actively grow mustaches after fruiting and spend a large amount of nutrients on this. Therefore, they are removed with secateursto facilitate the development of the plant.
In no case do not break off the mustache, so you can easily damage the strawberry bush, and the plant will spend a lot of energy on restoration.
Before removing parts of the strawberry bush, it should be feed. For 1 square meter, add a mixture of superphosphate (40-60 g), ammonium nitrate (20-30 g) and potassium chloride (15-20 g). Loosen soil between rows to a depth of 10 cm and next to strawberry bushes.
Oxygen for roots is no less important than water and top dressing, so regularly loosen the soil near the strawberry bushes
Healthy strawberries, which will enter the phase of active growth in 5-7 days, should be fed with a mixture of nitrophoska (2 tablespoons per 10 liters of water) and wood ash (1 cup). Spend 1 liter of solution on young plants of the first year of fruiting, and 1.5-2 liters on older ones.
Closer to mid-July should feed strawberries fresh chicken droppings. It is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 15-20. Plants are watered from a watering can, trying not to fall on the leaves. 10 l of solution is enough for 6-8 bushes of adult strawberries and 20-25 bushes of young. Fertilizer should be applied after rain or a couple of hours after watering.
- How to feed strawberries after harvest Does strawberry need to be fed after it has bred? Yes, and even more than during periods of flowering and fruiting.
Timely weed outremoving them after watering and rain. Also loosen the soil regularly to saturate the root system with oxygen.
Basic rules for post-harvest strawberry care
So that next year the strawberry harvest was a success, after collecting this one, you need to do the following:
- Be sure to remove the old layer of mulch. The fact is that during the whole season bacteria, pests, pathogens of various diseases could accumulate in it. Therefore, completely free the soil around the fruiting strawberries.
- We remove all the weeds that hatch under the mulch. The fact is that the root system of weed grass competes with strawberry roots, clogs them, thickens the planting. From this, the culture does not receive enough heat, mineral fertilizers, valuable substances from the soil. As a result, next year's harvest will be less plentiful, if not small.
- It is necessary to carefully examine the bushes and remove all the peduncles that have turned yellow leaves. They can also be sources of various diseases. All obsolete parts of the bush are carefully cut with a secateurs. In no case should you pull the leaves and peduncles. Inaccurate treatment of the bush is at high risk of damaging the heart of the plant (its growth point). A mustache is cut here.
- After trimming, you need to loosen the soil. This will allow air, sun and heat to penetrate deeper into the root system. During loosening, it is allowed to go deep into the soil by no more than 10 cm. In the immediate vicinity of the roots - no more than 6-7 cm. So you will not damage the root system. If the roots of the berries are bare, you need to spud them, cover them with earth.
- Regular watering is also important for strawberries after fruiting, as well as before ripening. Watering the crop is rare, but plentiful. The correct mode of hydration will allow you to achieve a good harvest for the next year.
- To treat shrubs from diseases and pests.
- Be sure to feed strawberries after fruiting and pruning.
If you strictly follow all the recommendations, next year you will collect a good crop of large, juicy, tasty berries.
Trimming antennae and leaves
Leaves and antennae of strawberries or Victoria - this is the part of the plant that continues to actively develop after harvest, when future flower buds are also actively laid, and nutrients accumulate in the stems. Experienced gardeners know that in summer and autumn garden strawberries need to be taken care of by timely pruning of the aerial parts of the plant.
Mustache and Leaf Removal
Strawberries can propagate by seed or vegetative means. In the latter case, rooting occurs with the help of long processes called a mustache. Sometimes the uterine bush forms them in large numbers. Therefore, young growth must be regularly thinned out. For breeding leave the most healthy and strong mustache, well developed to form independent plants. They are cut from the uterine bush and rooted in a new area.
The remaining mustache is cut off. Failure to trim weakens the mother plant. An overgrown mustache takes moisture and nutrients for its development. In addition, there is a gradual thickening of the beds. As a result, the size and number of berries decreases, favorable conditions for the development of diseases are formed.
The mustache is removed with a sharp garden tool, allowing you to make a cut close to the surface of the soil. A garden knife is best suited for this purpose. With its help, processes are cut off at the level of the soil.
You can’t pull out a mustache with your hands. This leads to a violation of the integrity of the root system. Partial root loss increases the risk of death of the entire bush.
If the age of the bushes exceeds 3 years, you can additionally mow the foliage. Mowing is performed 3 days after the collection of the last fruits. This procedure has the following advantages:
- improves yield for the next year;
- protects strawberry plantings from diseases and pest attacks.
How to prune strawberries
You can remove the leaves by combing them with a rake, mowing or cutting with a garden knife or scissors. I strongly advise against picking off the leaves: pulling the leaf, you can pull out the bush or part of it, violating the root system. A damaged bush will recover for a long time, be sick, and the yield for the next season will decrease.
The best option for those who have small areas is to remove unnecessary leaf blades with sharp clippers or pruners. You can mow leaves, but try not to damage the sockets and healthy leaf mass.
Is it worth trimming strawberries?
Often, inexperienced summer residents wonder whether shrubs should be pruned after fruiting. There is a definite answer - leaves are removed only if they are yellow, withered or if there is a need to rejuvenate strawberry plantations. In the second case, it is worth removing the largest sheets. Also, those parts of shrubs that are affected by pests or diseases are removed.
Fertilizing and loosening the soil
The soil between the rows of strawberries needs to be loosened to a depth of about 8-10 cm. Remember that the root system of the bush is located at a depth of only 5 cm. Therefore, it is better not to loosen the ground near the rosettes, but only to light up around so that the new subordinate roots growing from the horns, - parts of the strawberry bush, were under a layer of soil.
After loosening, the soil must be mulched to solve several problems at once:
- create optimal soil moisture, as the soil under the mulch will be moist and soft for a long time, after rain it will not be covered with crust;
- save time and effort spent on weeding weeds;
- berries that do not touch the ground do not rot and do not get dirty;
- mulch prevents slug damage to strawberries.
A good composition for mulching is straw, needles, large sawdust. Sawdust is best mixed with other materials so that their dense layer does not prevent air from penetrating the roots of the plant. Mulch needs to be laid with a layer of different heights - for sawdust up to 7 cm, and straw and leaves - up to 15 cm. Winter shelter of bushes is made in the aisles, without falling asleep plants. As soon as the spring growth of garden strawberries begins, the mulch will need to be removed.
Top dressing and cultivation
After pruning, the soil is loosened. Soil is processed only between rows. Strawberries have a superficial root system. Therefore, when working with soil near the bushes, you can easily damage the roots. To protect the subordinate roots, it is better to perform hilling. Then they will be under a layer of soil and will not freeze in winter.
To maintain soil fertility and enrich strawberry bushes with nutrients, fertilizing with organic fertilizers and mineral complexes is carried out. For garden strawberries, the choice of fertilizer is based on the condition of the soil and the timing of application. The following options are possible:
- In July, after removing the berries, mineral complexes are added before pruning. For each square meter, 20 g of ammonium nitrate and chlorine-free potassium sulfate, 40 g of superphosphate are used. Then carry out plentiful watering. For adherents of ecological farming, nettle infusion can be used instead of these fertilizers.
- After trimming, the bushes are fed with a solution prepared from 10 l of water, 1 cup of wood ash and 30 g of nitroammophos.
- In late July, watering the beds with infusion of bird droppings is carried out. A working solution is prepared by diluting 1 part of the concentrate with 15 parts of water.
- At the end of August, organic feeding is repeated, but the mullein is taken for the main component. It is mixed with water in a proportion of 1:10. Introducing fertilizer, the liquid is poured under the root, trying not to fall on the leaves.
When fertilizing strawberries, do not use preparations containing chlorine.
Loosening and hilling
Loosening improves breathability to the roots, reduces moisture loss, helps get rid of many weeds. Usually the procedure is carried out 2 times a month. If a black film is spread around the bushes, then loosening is not carried out. Loosen the aisle with a shovel shallow so as not to damage the roots and new bushes. You can use choppers, scoops, hoes.
Strawberry roots often go to the surface of the soil, if you do not carry out hilling, then rain, wind, heat can damage the rhizome. Nutrition will deteriorate, there will be few fruits. Around the bush make a small mound, leaving a rosette on the surface, and watered.
If the weed is tightened until autumn, the weeds will drain the earth, strawberries will be left without food for the winter.
Strawberry dressing after fruiting
After trimming strawberries in July, it needs to be fed so that the plants grow stronger and winter well. Suitable for this purpose is spraying a leaf with a dark pink solution of potassium permanganate, pouring with infusion of wood ash, or using complex mineral fertilizer.
How to fertilize strawberries
Dry mineral fertilizers for strawberries must be applied in a certain order:
- loosen the soil
- pour - a bucket of water per 1 m²,
- sprinkle on the surface of the fertilizer,
- sprinkle on top of dry soil.
Dry mineral fertilizers can also be dissolved in water (0.5 tbsp. L. Per 1 liter of water) and water them under the bushes of fellow countrymen, spending 2-3 liters per 1 m² of soil.
You can not make fertilizers with chlorine content under strawberries, for example, potassium chloride. Strawberry reacts very poorly to chlorine: growth retardation or fruiting deterioration may be observed.
Pay attention to the water-soluble complex mineral fertilizer Monopotassium phosphate from Buisky fertilizers. Monopotassium phosphate is included in the nutrition system for strawberries (strawberries).
The dose of the drug for fruit crops:
10-15 g / 10 l of water, the flow rate of the solution is the usual watering rate.
Time, application features:
1st feeding - after flowering
2nd feeding - 15-20 days after the first
3rd feeding - mid-September
Photo: Phosphorus-potassium water-soluble fertilizer Monopotassium phosphate for top dressing fruit and other crops
What feed strawberries
It is proved that during the growth and ripening of berries, strawberries spend a lot of micronutrients and substances. Therefore, after harvesting, a weakened crop requires special care. During this period, it is important to fully nourish it. You can feed strawberries after fruiting and pruning leaves with mineral and organic fertilizers. Most often used are:
- Mullein infusion. One of his fate is dismounted with water in a ratio of 10 parts. The whole mixture is insisted 24 hours. Then a part of wood ash is added here. All are mixed and poured under the root of each bush.
- Chicken droppings. It is planted under each bush and covered with soil.
- Urea. It is taken at a rate of 30 g for every 10 liters of water.
- Nitroammofoska. Here you need to mix 2 tablespoons of the product with a glass of wood ash and 10 liters of water.
- Nettle infusion. To do this, the bucket is filled with grass by about a third. Then pour boiling water over it. Insist remedy for about a week. Then they are treated with bushes after the crop is harvested. Such top dressing not only nourishes the bushes with useful trace elements, but also protects them from pests.
- You can also feed strawberries in the fall with universal organomineral fertilizers. Good demand is “Kaury”, “Flumb”, “Elegy”, “For strawberries”, “Shungit”, etc.
Tip: About two weeks after such top dressing, you can fertilize plants with products with a high content of potassium and phosphorus. It is these trace elements that provoke the laying of flower buds for future berries.
Preparation of a solution of wood ash
In 10 l of water, it is necessary to dissolve 2 glasses of ash and leave to infuse for 1-2 days. The resulting solution volume is sufficient for watering 1-2 m² of beds. Feeding with wood ash saturates plants with calcium, potassium and phosphorus. In addition, it helps to get rid of most insect pests.
Urea and ammonium nitrate
Ammonium nitrate packaging
Urea is a powerful source of nitrogen; it is almost 50% composed of this substance. As a rule, fertilizer in dissolved form is applied to the soil, but the spraying method can also be used. To prepare the solution, you need to take 1 tbsp. urea and dissolve it in 10 liters of water. One bush will need no more than 0.5 liters of funds.
Ammonium nitrate has a lower nitrogen content. Its advantage is that it is absorbed immediately after top dressing, whereas for urea this period is a week.
Bird droppings solution
Many gardeners use regular chicken droppings as fertilizer. To prepare a concentrated solution, you need to take a plastic container, fill it with droppings to the middle, then pour water to the top. The solution should ferment for about a week, after which the fertilizer is used to water the plants. The resulting concentrate is diluted with water (1:10). 2 hours before dressing, it is recommended to water the bushes so that the roots do not get burned.
Another effective organic fertilizer is derived from cow manure. In a large barrel, 1 part of manure is mixed with 5 parts of water. Next, you need to tightly close the container, leaving the mixture to ferment for 14 days. After a period of time, the solution will clear, heavy particles will settle to the bottom.For irrigation, 1 liter of agent diluted in 10 liters of water is used.
Even if the strawberry bushes ceased to bear fruit, their growth and development does not stop. They need regular but rare watering - once a week, while irrigation must be plentiful so that the soil is wet and well saturated with moisture to a sufficient depth. After watering, you can fill the ground with a thin layer of humus - it will not allow the formation of an earthy crust, protect the soil from drying out, slow down the growth of weed grass, and improve the soil structure.
In hot weather, plants are regularly watered. The main requirement: moist soil without drying out, otherwise the bushes will wither, and this will affect the future harvest. After each watering, the soil is loosened, excluding the appearance of a hard crust on the surface.
Sprinkling is undesirable, since when moisture enters sockets and leaflets, there is a high risk of rot. It is recommended to water in the grooves, holes, so that the soil on the bed is wet 5-7 cm in depth.
Closer to fall, watering is reduced, given the weather. If it rains, then strawberries have enough natural moisture. But in this case, they control the state of the soil, avoiding jamming. We need a “golden mean,” since overflow and water scarcity are destructive for culture.
Even after fruiting, the development and growth of garden strawberry bushes do not stop. Therefore, they continue to be regularly watered. Irrigation is performed once a week with plenty of water. Plants are watered while moistening the soil well. Then the soil is mulched with a layer of humus of small thickness. It will prevent the rapid evaporation of moisture and the formation of earth crust. Thanks to the mulch, weeds grow less and the soil structure improves.
After watering the beds with strawberries, garden soil between the rows should be loosened, while freeing it from weeds. If during this period to fill aisle of any mulch - sawdust, small branches, straw, then in the subsequent weed grass will be much less.
To simplify care when growing berries allows mulching. What is suitable for this:
- spruce fir, pine. Also use cones, bark, small twigs. Raw materials quickly rot, due to which plants receive additional nutrition. On such beds there are no snails and slugs, and this is an additional "plus" of coniferous mulch;
- sawdust (necessarily rotted);
- black film.
On a note! When using film and agrofibre, it is necessary to consider methods of watering plants.
Mulch saves the beds from overheating and excess moisture, eliminates the appearance of weeds.
Also during this period, therapeutic or preventive treatments for pests are carried out, since during the new flowering and the formation of ovaries this procedure is not recommended.
Important! In order for the strawberry bushes to be healthy in the next season, it is necessary to conduct treatment against possible pests that can damage not only the roots of the plant, but also the leaves.
Processing strawberries with acaricide for prophylactic purposes is a lump sum, and if there is infection with any parasites, it is better to process the course until the pest population is completely destroyed.
The course for drugs is different, so you should carefully read the instructions before starting treatment measures.
Spraying from pests and diseases
It should be remembered that strawberries after harvest need care and protection from all kinds of diseases no less than in spring. Preventive and therapeutic spraying of strawberries is an important component of care in August, designed to protect berries from various fungi (gray and black rot), spots, powdery mildew and a number of pests.
How to spray strawberries after harvest? Depending on the nature of the lesion, the following drugs can be used:
- "Actellik", "Karbofos" will destroy the strawberry tick and weevil;
- "Topaz", "Azocene" will save from the manifestations of powdery mildew;
- A 1% solution of Bordeaux fluid is used for spotting and rot.
Features of agricultural technology of repair strawberries
These varieties give harvest until late autumn. Such plants are not pruned, they only remove red leaves affected by pests and diseased shoots.
Before fruiting, garden strawberries are fed (the compositions are listed above), watered, and loosen the soil between rows. Be sure to treat against fungal infections and pests.
In the autumn, the forming flower stalks are cut, which delay the plant nutrition. Before the coldest weather, they cover the restoring strawberries with sawdust, spruce branches or leaf litter. Tidy landing.
If a transplant is planned in the garden, then do it in advance, managing to the first frost. Rooted rosettes in the summer are planted on new beds, old bushes are removed.
The place where strawberries grew is recommended for sowing seeds for cultivation of the soil. They heal and renew the soil, saturate it with nutrients.
Providing proper and timely care for strawberries after fruiting, you can count on an excellent harvest next year.